- Use easyvmx to create a virtual machine configuration.
- It appears that 256MB of memory should be enough. This can be changed later in VMware player.
- Network driver should be vlance (which appears as AMD Lance to Minix).
- The installation is going to be much faster if you download the Minix ISO (IDE-3.1.2a.iso) and fix that image as the second CDROM drive in VMware player. Leave the first drive on auto detect.
- Minix doesn't support more than 4GB hard drive space. When partitioning, I use 1024 MB for /home and the rest for /usr (which gives about 3000MB).
- Sound driver: Ensonic ES1371.
- Disable serial and parallel ports. On my machine I don't have access to them as a normal user.
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Minix3 in VMware Player
Here are a few installation tips: